Friday, January 13, 2012

Give unto others freely...

"There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need. Thus Joseph, who was also called by the apostles Barnabas (which means son of encouragement), a Levite, a native of Cyprus, sold a field that belonged to him and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet."
~Acts 4:34-37
Last weekend as I talked with a friend of mine she encouraged me by sharing something the Lord showed her in her Bible reading that morning. 

Later that day she wrote it out, and gave me permission to share it. :-)
"This morning as I was reading in Acts, the last two verses in chapter 4 really struck me. This man named Joseph had sold one of his fields (in those days fields were very valuable and important for the families to live on) and gave the money to the apostles so that they could give to those who had need.

This act of putting other's needs and interests ahead of his own and being willing to give up something that he would benefit from, was very humbling to me. It showed that nothing really belonged to him, but to God. And by giving to those who have need, he was giving to the Lord. 

I had to ask my self, what am I willing to give up? Am I losing anything by giving up of my time to serve others in whatever way they have need? (Philippians 3:8)

I know
often we get so caught up with life and our agendas, that we are not aware of the needs of those around us. We think far too much of ourselves. I believe that God wants more of us to think selflessly. We lose nothing by being in the service of our Lord, instead we gain a deeper love for Him and a desire to give unto others freely (including our time)."
~Sarah N.

No comments: