Saturday, April 7, 2012

"Yet live by Him I killed..."


"The cross is the place where our sin is seen as most horrible and God's free grace shines most brightly." ~ John Piper

I was amazed while reading in Deuteronomy one morning when I ran across the verses that talk about how to put to death a man who has committed a sin deserving of death, especially when I came to this: "...for he who is hanged is accursed of God." {Deuteronomy 21:23b}  Wow! That is how Christ died for me. He died an accursed death for my sin. Amazing. I guess I was aware of that, but it hit me in a totally different light as I read it in the context of Deuteronomy.

A friend of mine shared this song with me a few weeks ago.  The lyrics are so touching and true!:

"I saw one hanging on a tree 
In agony and blood 
Who fixed His loving eyes on me 
As near His cross I stood 
And never till my dying breath 
Will I forget that look 
It seemed to charge me with His death 
Though not a word He spoke 

My conscience felt and owned the guilt 
And plunged me in despair 
I saw my sins His blood had spilt 
And helped to nail Him there 
But with a second look He said 
“I freely all forgive 
This blood is for your ransom paid 
I died that you might live” 


Forever etched upon my mind 
Is the look of Him who died 
The Lamb I crucified 
And now my life will sing the praise 
Of pure atoning grace 
That looked on me and gladly took my place 

Thus while His death my sin displays 
For all the world to view 
Such is the mystery of grace 
It seals my pardon too 
With pleasing grief and mournful joy 
My spirit now is filled 
That I should such a life destroy 
Yet live by Him I killed." 

~John Newton

You can listen to it here:


No comments: