Thursday, February 7, 2013

Redemption's Song



"Redemption has given us a song." ~John MacArthur

There have been times in the past week that I have been so discouraged and overwhelmed to the point of tears. Some things just don't seem "right." I become so weary. It always causes me to cry out for help to God. I know He hears... and will answer my prayer with the best answer.

Yet, I have to ask myself when I'm hurting, how deep is my understanding of God's power? His love at this moment? 

And I realize that I am so 
thirsty for the gospel. There seems to be a famine of the gospel all around.

I need to sing myself the song of the gospel ~ again and again! And oh, it is freeing and comforting! When my heart refuses to sing for joy, it's the gospel news that will wash over my breaking desert-feeling heart, causing it to break forth in joy! 

When we look to Jesus and the cross we know for certain that we are are more loved and cared for then we ever dared hope to believe! 

Our God is a great God, and I think we so often forget how great He really is. His sovereignty and the love and power found in the truth of the gospel, gives me the greatest reason to adore and trust Him and praise Him! We have a song because of our redemption!

Psalm 147:1-11:

Praise the Lord!
For it is good to sing praises to our God;
For it is pleasant, and praise is beautiful.
The Lord builds up Jerusalem;
He gathers together the outcasts of Israel.
 He heals the brokenhearted
And binds up their wounds.
 He counts the number of the stars;
He calls them all by name.
 Great is our Lord, and mighty in power;
His understanding is infinite.
 The Lord lifts up the humble;
He casts the wicked down to the ground.
 Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving;
Sing praises on the harp to our God,
 Who covers the heavens with clouds,
Who prepares rain for the earth,
Who makes grass to grow on the mountains.

He gives to the beast its food,

And to the young ravens that cry.
 He does not delight in the strength of the horse;
He takes no pleasure in the legs of a man.
 The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him,
In those who hope in His mercy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The praise of gratitude for the past is sweet, but that praise is sweeter which adores God for the future in full confidence that it shall be well. Therefore, take down your harps from the willows, O you people, and praise you the name of the Lord, though the fig tree still does not blossom and the cattle still die in the stall and the sheep still perish from the folds—though there should be to you no income to meet your needs and you should be brought almost to necessity’s door—still bless the Lord whose mighty Providence cannot fail and shall not fail as long as there is one of His children to be provided for!
Your song while you are still in distress will be sweet music to the ear of God! 
  
~Charles Spurgeon 

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Amen!! In our darkest and spiritually driest times, we need to remember the gospel and rejoice with thankfulness that Jesus loves us and has redeemed us! All praise belongs to Jesus!!

Ana R.W. said...

Amen!! So true! Thank you for the comment, Jennifer!! <3